Ever wondered the benefits of what we often throw away? Rice water! This water comes with many benefits which enhances your skin and strengthen the hair. It contains vitamins, amino acids and mineral, ferulic acid, anti oxidant to slow down aging process.
Rice water has been used for centuries in Asian countries especially in Japan and China, the female rice farmers used to bath in water used for cleaning rice, this gives them the features of having young looking skin and long thick hair.
So next time, be sure not to throw out the water for it turns out to be one of the simplest DIY you can afford to pamper your skin and hair.
Make your own rice water
There are several methods to making your own rice water at home, but two methods are used by most DIY practitioners.
The No-boil quick method
1/2cup of uncooked (brown, white long grain, Jasmine, whichever one you have) with 2cups of water
1. Wash off the dirt at first
2. Place the 1/2cup of rice in a bowl with water and Allow to sit for 15- 30minutes
3. Gently swirl it round and knead until it turns cloudy. Strain out the rice water into a bowl or container.
This is rice water.
The boiled rice method
Scoop out a bowl of uncooked rice, wash off the impurities.
In a cooker, boil rice with enough water. Preferably twice the amount of cooking water that you normally use for cooking. Once the rice is cooked or half cooked, strain it out.
There should be no grains left in the water. The left over water will contain a high concentrate of nutrients. You can dilute with clean water, which should result to a milky looking mixture.
Storage: Rice water should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature in a dry place.
It can be consumed immediately or left for 4-5days and thrown away after 5days for a fresh batch.
You can use this twice in a day as a skin tone or facial rinse. Also can be used as a shampoo on your hair or as a final rinse
Let’s dive in to the benefits of rice water for the skin and hair.
1. Skin toner: this is a natural skin toner, promotes cell growth and keeps your skin smooth and bright
Dab a cotton ball in a bowl of rice water and apply to your face.
2. Acne treatment: breakout can be taken care of using rice water, for rice water naturally soothe the skin inflammation and all sorts of skin problems. It acts as astringent and tightens pores.
Dab a cotton ball into the rice water, Pat over the affected area. Massage for several minutes to air dry
3. Treats sun damaged and aging skin: rice water is a natural sunscreen, it cools inflammation and burnt skin, preventing further damage. The elasticity of the skin texture is restored using rice water because it is rich in Vitamin A,C and E
Make use of cold rice water, dab in cotton ball and apply morning and night
4. Lighten the skin: rice water improves the complexion, evens the skin. It will help you achieve a fairer and brighter skin overtime. Massage rice water unto skin and air dry after few minutes.
5. Protects against skin cancer: yes! I made my research and learnt rice water does not only promote cell growth and regeneration but it has anti oxidants which prevents various skin cancers.
6. For irritated skin: having a 15minute bath with rice water twice a day could naturally soothe skin rashes and all sorts of skin problems
7. For healthy long hair: it helps fight split ends naturally for a longer healthier hair. You can use as a conditioner or hair rinse